I distinctly remember, I was in my first year of engineering(not that the degree matters in this blog post here), on the way home in my petrol guzzling( or was it diesel??) Honda Activa when a decently dressed gentleman asked for a lift. His foray into small task caused me untold misery when he innocently asked me “sir, where are you working?”. I was 17 then & I shouted loudly saying “I’m doing my first year engg. bhaiyaa”, which unfortunately didn’t reach his ears thanks to the blaring horn sounds of an Ashok Leyland lorry behind us.
And again I was subjected to one more question which made my heart stop pumping blood for a quarter of an hour. “shaadi shudaa hain kya aap?” which, when translated means “ARE YOU MARRIED?”. For that one unfortunate moment, I wished I hadn’t learned Hindi but the problem was not with my moderate hindi skills, but with me. One thing was obvious, my weight was not something which showed how old I was, or put it this way, how young I was. That’s when I seriously started thinking about reducing the extra flab. And this thought had been just a thought for the past 5 years. All has changed since the past two months.
It has been a friggin’ fantastic journey for the past two months where more than 25 pounds of pure useless fat has been drained from my body! Ok, its actually 11.3 kgs in the metric system. It sounded too cute to say it in pounds as the weight reduced sounded more.
All of this started thanks to Dad, Mom & bro’s prodding to reduce weight to look good & feel better. Did I just say look good? Yes, actually this was one of the biggest motivations for my MISSION 57 POUNDS! I am almost halfway through & the feeling of having done something which I have been trying and thinking about for almost all my life is one indescribable feeling.
Now let me describe how I made my cerebral area understand that this diet which I have started is of cardinal importance. One whole week I was only going through websites and blogs which were created for souls like me who have been accused of consuming even 1000-2000 calorie meals on a pretty regular basis. I chanced upon some amazing websites and videos which was gonna be of huge help in the coming days.
The biggest find for me was a scene from a Rocky Balboa movie where Rocky says about winning and believing to his son. here is the script below. Be inspired reading this!
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!
Read on a variety of topics ranging from what to eat and what not to how to exercise and to not go hungry and a myriad of other things. Because of all the gyaan that I now had, I was confident as well as equally scared, like a believer on an Atheist camp. I told to everybody I know that I was gonna be on a diet with the target date set as Jan 26, 2012 & this increased the fear of humiliation which was something that would be ready for me if I failed big time. All of us have some “friends” who are as good as leeches in your life who suck the bloody life out of you, the proverbial naysayers who are bound to fail if they venture into anything even of miniscule proportions that they see you also as failing eventually in whatever you do. Keep these buggers away from your life for Christ’s sake!
Now for those ten mantras to reduce weight in the most facile way:
1. Read Read Read! Get to know everything about reducing weight & never ever doubt yourself.
2. Drink 1 liter of water the first thing in the morning. Its good for metabolism & also helps in reducing weight.
3. Drink 3-5 cups of green tea daily. If your bosses do not like it when you roam around with a cup many times in a day, you have a better option, try the green tea capsule from Parry’s( you could get it any of the Nilgiris store), which claims to carry the benefits that 6 cups of green tea has.
4. Watch videos, listen to audios & read & follow blogs and websites and dream yourself in a BEFORE AFTER photo. Nothing better than seeing the end result in your eyes.
5. Walk walk walk! If you are a wretched soul like me who cannot jog for more than 500 meters at a stretch, you can always walk! Walking burns 500 calories while jogging burns 650 calories if done for an hour. So keep it simple. WALK, not the walk that happens after we see our semester results on the internet( probably the only time I have cursed the internet).Brisk walking!
6. Hog a lot of raw vegetables like carrots, tomatoes and cucumber daily. its good for you even if you dont have any fat to lose.
7. Remember that you are not accountable to anybody except you. This is probably the biggest relief for me. I didn’t have to answer anybody except myself & this is where many eventually slack & give up coz this demands a lot more control and determination. A double edged sword, eh?
8. Track your progress! I read from many sources that you are twice as likely to stick to your diet regimen if you write everything that goes into your mouth. This actually works big time. Weigh yourself once in a week. A target of one kilogram a week is fantastic.
9. Incorporate idlis, chapatis more into your meals.
10. And the most important piece of advice, there will be people who are so deranged that they say some shit like this.
“Dude, I think you have gained weight man?”
“In Which part of your body did you lose weight? I dont see any difference”. NO NO dont flash them.
“I think you are lying”
“Did you have yourself operated?”
For all these shitheads, just tell them this “Screw you” or you can be even more polite, show them the finger. That would do.
& AAhhhaa, a huge huge relief for foodies like me on a diet, diet experts say its ok to gorge on any type of food of your liking for a meal n a week! Great news right? I call it the cheat day & I usually cheat twice😛
The rest of the story on how I transformed myself from a XXL to an L would be after four more harrowing months of a near ascetic life. I don’t want to go to an S sized bloke as I read somewhere that the ladies love it when the guys have a little paunch. Little paunch! not the big sized one that I have presently🙂
15 more kilos to guy & hordes of L sized Tshirts to buy, the next few months look bloody exciting.